Season of giving starts now

NHS food drive to benefit local food pantry

photo or infographic by Katherine Lee

Bring canned goods to second period for the NHS food drive. All food donated will remain in the community.

Every holiday season, the Willis Food Bank’s shelves grow bare. Families pour in, trying to get food so they can have as normal of a Thanksgiving meal as they can. This influx in demand for food and the decrease of food to give proves to be a great challenge for local food banks. The National Honor Society wants students to help give the people of the community the holiday they deserve by donating to the annual food drive. 

The food drive will be happening from November 4th to November 21st, and any donation helps. No extra credit can be given because of a donation, but that should not stop students from donating. The winning class will receive a do nut party, but the biggest prize is helping others. Without extra credit, some students said they simply weren’t going to participate. This school of thought is the reason that millions of people go hungry each year. 

Donating to a charity or to a food drive should not be for self-beneficial reasons. It is something that should be done out of the goodness of a person’s heart. Some of these families do not know if they will have enough food to make a snack for their kids, let alone a Thanksgiving dinner. According to Feeding America, as of 2014, food banks across the United States provide service to 46.5 million people. Of course, there is not 46 million people in Willis, but there are hundreds of families who do need our help. 

Donating to a charity or to a food drive should not be for self-beneficial reasons. It is something that should be done out of the goodness of a person’s heart.

— Ali McNew

When a student donates anything at all to this food drive, even if it is just one can of vegetables, he will get the satisfaction of knowing that he has impacted someone else’s life. He will know that he didn’t do it for the extra credit or for the prize, but he did it because he cares about others and  does not want to see another person go hungry this holiday season. So please donate anything possible and help keep the Willis Food Bank shelves from going empty.