Rodeo art can open doors for student artists

Charnell Haywood

More stories from Charnell Haywood

photo or infographic by Charnell Haywood
Four students were honored for their rodeo art projects. Winners will be displayed at the Houston Livestock and Rodeo in March

A splash of paint. A shimmer of love. Erase, create a new color, the deadline is approaching. The best work takes time to prepare. Shade, stain, repeat. Color sets the tone. Every image has a significant meaning and purpose.

The winners of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo School Art competition was dominated by our very own students with effortless pieces.  

“I’m honored to receive the special merits award over my cultured drawing: Los Nopales,” senior Rubi Flores said. “I put a lot of work into it by getting the right colors, shades, and the blending. This drawing has a special meaning to me because it represents my roots.”

The Department of Visual Arts appreciates the commitment and creativity students in the program have given into their work. 

“Students who submit artwork to the contest are considered for a special invitation to summer programs like the Western Art Academy in Kerrville and the Glassell School of Art in Houston, which senior students become eligible for college scholarships,” art teacher Lisa Coldwell said. “I have been involved with this competition for over twenty years, and my students’ creativity and hours of dedication to their work continues to astonish me.”

Students come into realizations in their art, especially seniors who have worked really hard the past years in their technique. Opportunities are given to the winners of the competition. 

“The chance to succeed in this contest meant a lot of different things to me,” senior Hannah Wilson said. “One being the chance to gain financial assistance in college, and the other being the opportunity to push myself to work on a piece for so long and better myself as an artist. I wish I could do it again.”

Students worked hard to put all they had in their work. 

“I’m honored that my art was chosen to represent Willis at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo,” sophomore Brooke Brenham said. “I’ve spent numerous hours on my art piece over a period of several weeks.”

The rodeo art program has helped the students grow their art skills. 

“What I enjoyed most about this experience is that not only am I proud to represent Willis, but my family is proud of me as well,” senior Juliann Wallet said. “I’ve come a long way since last year and I’ve learned to really focus on color more than anything else in my art, which is super fun because once you pay attention to colors, you realize that a sheep isn’t just white; its blue, purple, pink, green and gray.”