Homecoming kicks off with parade on Monday

Traditions and spirit days fill the week

photo or infographic by Will Nye

1. Queen nominees are seniors Carson Bond, Grace Hoegemeyer, Ajee Demmings, Yaremith Acuna and Kailee Tedder. 2. Candidates for king are seniors Jeremy Harper, Blaine Muniga, Eric Gilbert, Brayan Rodriguez and Hayden Feist. 3. Juniors Landon Parsley and Bailey Chapman are duke and duchess for the class of 2021. 4. For the sophomore duchess and duke, the class of 2022 chose Kylie Santore and Alex Ochoa. 5. Freshmen elected Carika Fowler and Devon Lovelady as duchess and duke.

by Kelsey Soape, VOW editor

The mums and garters are being made, floats are in the final stages and the homecoming proposals have been happening for weeks. Homecoming week is here and the week is filled with spirit and traditions.

The parade kicks off homecoming week on Monday, September 30th. It starts at 6:00 on the street by the stadium. 

“I’ll be attending the parade while marching with band,” junior Christian Sanchez said. “I’m excited. This will be my third year marching in the parade.” 

Fire Up the Kats will immediately following the parade. The highlight of the evening is the senior picture taken at the 50-yard line of Berton A. Yates Stadium. 

“I have watched the seniors take this picture every year,” senior Tori Hicks said. “I am excited that it is finally the Class of 2020’s turn.”

Dress up days also start on Monday. Athletes vs. mathletes will fill the halls for the first dress up day. 

“I’m so excited for homecoming dress up days,” sophomore Alyssa Medley said. “The varsity cheer girls and I along with the coach think we got some really creative ones for this year. I think I’m most excited for mathletes vs athletes day.” 

Other dress up days include safari day on Tuesday, country and country club day on Wednesday and decades day on Thursday. On Friday the school will be full of purple and seniors in overalls on spirit day.

Also on Friday, a pep rally will end the week and pump the fans and players up for the game. 

“I’m excited, I feel like it’s going to be positive for the school,” junior Jace Halbadier said. “I just wish that everyone would buy in. The dance would be so much more enjoyable if everyone bought into what leads up to it. I am very excited to see some great lifelong friends compete for king and queen.”

Homecoming in queen nominees are seniors Yaremith Acuna, Carson Bond, Ajee Demmings, Grace Hoegemeyer and Kailee Tedder

“I feel inspired for being nominated for queen,” senior Carson Bond said. “I want to let the student body know that you don’t have to be at the top of your class or in every club or organization to impact somebody. All you need to be is yourself and inspire others around you.” 

King nominees are seniors Hayden Feist, Eric Gilbert, Jeremy Harper, Blaine Munguia and Brayan Rodriguez.

Underclassmen were also honored by their peers as dukes and duchesses. The junior class will be represented by Landon Parsley and Bailey Chapman. Sophomores chose Kylie Santore and Alex Ochoa as their court members. The class of 2024 picked freshmen Carika Fowler and Devon Lovelady as their duke and duchess.  

The dance is scheduled for Saturday, October 5. The theme of this year’s dance is masquerade ball. According to principal Stephanie Hodgins, masquerade masks will be allowed at the dance. 

“I think the masquerade is an awesome theme,” junior PC Hadley said. “I think it gives us an opportunity to be different for a night that we hopefully won’t forget.”