Tennis team sets goals for 6A season

SERVE+IT.+SMASH+IT.+WIN+IT.+In+a+district+match+against+College+Park+on+Tuesday%2C+sophomore+Blaine+Eckert+prepares+to+serve.+The+tennis+team+plays+Huntsville+on+Friday+at+home.+

photo or infographic by Emily Meachen

SERVE IT. SMASH IT. WIN IT. In a district match against College Park on Tuesday, sophomore Blaine Eckert prepares to serve. The tennis team plays Huntsville on Friday at home.

Wildkat tennis is back, starting off the season with can do attitudes. They played The Woodlands last Tuesday. They play College Park tonight home and play on Friday at home against Huntsville.

The first game against the Woodlands was a tough loss, but now the players know how to improve their skills. 

“I need to improve on my serve, I would like it to have more spin on it rather than being so flat,” junior Ryan Glasgow said.

Leadership is a quality that is needed when playing a more experienced school.

“Constantly working hard sets a good example on the court,” junior Colton Land said. 

The Wildkats are preparing for tougher teams in 6A this year.

“The important things needed to be successful against better teams are a better mindset, confidence, good teamwork and support from your teammates,” senior Tyler Knopp said.

The goal is always to make enough wins to get to the playoffs.

“I’m personally looking forward to the fun we have fighting for district playoffs,” junior Jenna Dempsey said.

New people are still learning what high school tennis will be like.

“Improving on multiple skills and getting more experience will help me this season,” freshman Colin Linton said.

The tennis athletes have great character qualities that are going to help them be successful this season.

“As far as how hard the kids work, and how dedicated they are, it is going great,” coach Lisa Parrot said. “They keep up the team spirit and keep everyone working hard.”

It is important to be encouraging to all the players on the team and play all of them during practices.

“We need to be inclusive and have everybody involved no matter their age or skill level,” Knopp said. “The only way people are going to get better is to play different people that they haven’t played.”

The Wildkats are not letting a defeat get in the way of their bright future. They will continue to work hard in practices to get better and eventually win all their matches.

“Although the Woodlands High School beat us, we were able to come together as a team and fight for every match,” Dempsey said.