Remote learners return to campus as new marking period begins

photo or infographic by Emily Meachen

MORE FACES. MORE MASKS. According to school administration, around 400 remote students returned to campus at the start of the second nine weeks.

by Abel Rogers, VOW staff

The halls have been a little more crowded and seats with those little red x’s are a little harder to find in the cafeteria since some remote learners returned to campus Tuesday, October 13.

Being back to school in person makes students happy. Getting up early and dealing with bells and possible tardies does not damper the spirits of some students. 

“I am glad to be back to face to face learning” sophomore Blake Connerly said. “The best part is getting to see my friends.”

Being able to visit friends and new people outside of school helps keep a peace of mind and can help get students get out of the house. Face to face can also help students when they need one on one assistance from their teachers. 

“You get to ask the teacher questions, and you don’t have to deal with technical issues all by yourself,” freshman Riley Heffernan said. ”I don’t have to worry about sending a correct email, and instead I can focus on my work without the hassle of the computer not working the way I need it to.” 

Sometimes the stress of technical issues alone can cause a bad school year. Even working online can be a struggle. Most of the students’ work is digital, sometimes making it more difficult to locate or work on assignments. Students just missed the hands-on portion of school and classwork. 

“I hate how all the work for school is online!” sophomore Lainey Osborne said. “We don’t have any more paper to work on.”

Students being back in classes full of other teenagers worries some parents and teachers. COVID is still a risk for all ages. 

“As a teacher and mom, I feel two things,” English teacher DeAnna Slovak said. “I am happy that my child is back in school, but I’m also worried about other kids not taking health concerns seriously.”