Wildkats show support at Pink Out football game

photo or infographic by Summer Rains

PINK OUT. Playing against the Woodlands Highlanders, the Wildkats wore pink for breast cancer awareness month.

Mothers, sisters and grandmothers. About one in eight U.S women will get invasive breast cancer over the course of her life and one in 39 women will die from breast cancer. Breast cancer is most commonly found in women and it is the second deadliest cancer next to lung cancer. Because this is such a merciless type of cancer, the whole month of October has been dedicated to breast cancer awareness. 

Last night the annual Pink Out football game was held at Conroe ISD’s Woodforest Stadium. The Wildkats were decked out in pink in support of breast cancer awareness. 

GO WILDKATS. The student section is electric with cheers for the football players. (photo or infographic by Summer Rains )

“We need to support people that are going through hard times,” Montana Parker said. “We never know if it can happen to someone we love.”

The whole student section was dressed up in their pink gear. Some students were casual and just wore pink clothes, while others painted their faces pink in support of breast cancer. 

“Breast cancer awareness literally means so much to me,” sophomore Sam Skelton said. “I take it seriously, and I wanna show my support because of the people I know of that have had breast cancer.”

ALL SMILES. The sweethearts dance from the stands to cheer on the Wildkats. (photo or infographic by Summer Rains )

The Sweethearts had pink pom poms at the football game to show their support for the people who have won their battles, the ones that are still fighting and the ones who have lost. 

“Personally, I wore pink just for support for the battle of breast cancer,” senior Alyssa Williams said. “I have heard many stories of the battle and can’t imagine how strong survivors are. It is so important for organizations and the student body to participate in awareness because it is an ongoing fight many people, families, and communities battle every day that many people may not even be aware of. We just want to spread this awareness and show our love to those who have fought the battle of breast cancer.”

The cheerleaders, like always, wore their pink cheer suits, but they also put pink dye in their hair and used pink makeup to show their support.  

“It’s a super special game, especially honoring my mom as she continues to fight and beat breast cancer,” senior Mady Feist said.  “Almost every year we’ve given her pink roses from the cheerleaders, but unfortunately this year was a little different. She knows every cheerleader adores her and is cheering her on.”