Students support each other with amazing spirit section

photo or infographic by Wildkat Media

The positive energy coming from the stands,and knowing that they are all there to support Willis athletes and performers goes to show how incredible the student body can be. 

With twenty seconds left in the basketball game, the team is down by two points, needing to score a lay-up to tie and go into overtime. The ball gets thrown in, passed to the star player, he sprints across the court with more energy than what he began the game with. He passes the ball to another player, he can’t get a layup in. Five seconds left: the ball gets passed back to the star player, he makes an attempt to shoot a three-pointer. Three, two, one, It goes in and the crowd goes… there is no crowd. The team quietly shakes the other team’s hands with their heads down, knowing the win would be much more thrilling if a crowd was there. 

The school has a great student section, and it is very well known that without the support of the community, none of the sports or arts would be able to perform as well as they can. The positive energy coming from the stands,and knowing that they are all there to support Willis athletes and performers goes to show how incredible the student body can be. 

It is incredible to see Willis students supporting other Willis students.

— Janice Talley

When going to watch a football game, there has been a push the last few years to have a true student section. This year, the dream became a reality with the student section not only showing up, but they have also shown out. The students have brought confetti cannons, they have set themes for the games and even painted their bodies. Their physical appearance isn’t the only thing that they are known for. They are also incredibly invested into the game. 

Football isn’t the sport feeling the love of the student section. The student section is also active for volleyball, basketball and many other sports. Many students will also go and watch plays to support their fellow actors and actresses. Some even go to choir events, band events, and also UIL. It is incredible to see Willis students supporting other Willis students.

With plenty of other school events coming up, it is exciting to be able to look into the future, and be able to  see the student section go crazy. Although our student section has never been this large, it will continue to grow, thanks to the amazing students leading the effort.