Journalism team places 2nd at Lake Creek UIL meet

WILDKAT+FUN.+While+waiting+for+the+results+to+come+in%2C+members+of+the+UIL+team+take+a+quick+picture.+UIL+meets+are+about+competition%2C+but+there+is+also+a+lot+fun+at+the+meets.+

photo or infographic by Emily Meachen

WILDKAT FUN. While waiting for the results to come in, members of the UIL team take a quick picture. UIL meets are about competition, but there is also a lot fun at the meets.

The journalism team won second place as the Academic UIL team traveled to Lake Creek for their first tournament of 2022 on Saturday.

The ultimate goal for most competitors is to place at district and move on the regionals and state. The journalism competitors are also striving to earn points toward All-State journalism status. It takes 50 points during the year to earn this honor.

“My goal for UIL is to earn All-State honors for the third year and to make it to the state meet,” senior Katherine Lee said. “Last year I placed fourth at regionals, so I could not go to state. It is my senior year, so it my last chance to prove to myself that I can do this.”

It was the first time for many of the competitors to take what they have learned in class and compete. Junior Reid Henderson competed on the journalism and speech teams. He placed in headline writing and extemporaneous speaking

GIVING IT ALL SHE’S GOT. In her third of five events, senior Stephanie Keele works on her feature story at the contest. She also competed in copy editing, editorial writing, news writing and headline writing at the meet. (photo or infographic by Emily Meachen)

“I learned that there was a lot I needed to learn,” Henderson said. “Even though I placed, I know there is a massive skill gap between me and the best.”

Competing is the main reason students travel to the meet, but the fun and silliness of the games and snacks at the table make good memories. 

“Since you are there for so long, you have plenty of time to talk and do other fun things,” junior Jason Clark said. “UIL offers the opportunity to get better, hangout with friends and make plenty of new ones.”

Coaches also accompanied the group to the meet. They have responsibilities at the event, but they also have fun with the competitors and other coaches.

Students should join UIL because of the fun we have while getting to represent our school and cheer for each other during competition,” extemp coach Chris Slovak said. “The best part about UIL is the food and games we play in between the events.”

The team will compete again March 5 at the Caney Creek Invitational. There is still time for interested students to join UIL.

“We need students in most areas of our team,” UIL coordinator Emily Meachen said. “If you love science, writing, computer science, spelling or current events, we need people in those teams right away. We could also use students with knowledge of upper level math.”

Drop by room A201 or email Meachen at [email protected] if you are interested in joining the UIL team. There are many advantages to being a part of the team. 

“Others should join UIL to get better at skills and to build friendships,” Henderson said. “We all compete, have fun and support each other together.”