Cafeteria should include more options for students with food sensitivities

photo or infographic by Stone Chapman edited in Canva

Walking through the breakfast line at the beginning of the day looking for a healthy, suitable option can be really difficult for students that might suffer from lactose or gluten intolerance. With the addition of cheese, bread and sugar to every item in the line, Wildkats leave the cafeteria with an empty stomach.

There should be more options in the cafeteria lines that accommodate the dietary restrictions of students.

The lunch line is meant to feed students, no matter their allergies. Wildkats suffer trying to find a meal they can enjoy without making themselves sick. Going through the line at the beginning of the day is a gamble. Wildkats place their bets on breakfast every time they pick out an entree. Almost every item containing protein has melted cheese on it. A dairy allergy or a sensitivity to cheese makes eating these items impossible. Students shouldn’t have to suffer anymore than they already do that early in the morning.

Going through the line at the beginning of the day is a gamble. Wildkats place their bets on breakfast every time they pick out an entree.

— Stone Chapman

Most of the options in the lunch line have a lot of sugar and minimal nutritional value. This forces students to eat unhealthy food. Starting the day with a bunch of sugar causes students to be tired and unproductive. Along with feeling groggy and exhausted, some students want a meal that helps them stay fit. Bready-sugar filled- options don’t help. The cafeteria should try harder to make healthy meals rather than meals that just taste good. Just because chili cheese fries and donuts sound yummy, doesn’t mean students want to consume those empty calories.

Some like to argue that these students are just picky eaters. But, if eating something like cheese or bread will make them sick, not eating isn’t picky at all. The safety and health of students should be the schools biggest concern. Not providing food fit for every diet is selfish, and it leaves students feeling like the school doesn’t care about their needs.

The cafeteria should offer more options for students. By just adding a handful of more consistent options, Wildkats wouldn’t have to wait in line just to be disappointed one more day without a good meal.