OPINION: We miss academy

MISSING+THE+BREAK.+Academy+time+over%2C+and+many+students+are+missing+the+time+for+practice%2C+homework+and+time+to+study+or+make+up+a+test.+

photo or infographic by Wildkat Media via Canva

MISSING THE BREAK. Academy time over, and many students are missing the time for practice, homework and time to study or make up a test.

Lost, but not forgotten. It’s impossible to forget since every day a student is reminded of that sweet time when he rushes to finish his homework in the class before it’s due. Along with stressing over homework and time, comes the need to also memorize a new schedule since the administration decided to remove academy time from the schedule completely in favor of distributing that time to each class. So while students wonder what time lunch starts and when the bell for second period will ring, they will be reminded of the absence of academy time and forever keep it in their memory.

Losing academy time has placed stress on students and limited the time students have for extracurricular activities.

Spending eight hours at school does not serve as any particular motivation to get home from a long day and do more school work. Most students prefer to leave all the things they need to do for school at school. There are things they have and want to do. Working to save for college, playing a sport they’re passionate about, and dedicating time to hobbies as a small pleasure for themselves are among those things. Time is a precious thing, and splitting time between life and school is often already a strenuous challenge since students wake up early for school and don’t have an escape until pretty late in the day. Having academy time to complete any school work they needed to and be done with school by the time the clock hit 3:05 p.m. helped maintain that balance. With all the things in their life beginning to pile up, the only effort that remains is to stress over it all and hope not to be crushed by the pressure. Academy time has always been valuable to the majority of students. While some may have neglected the opportunity and be the very reason that academy was abolished, the importance of that time remains for the vast majority meaning that keeping it would have been best for everyone. 

Now with that time taken away, students are starting to feel that loss and often find themselves trying to squeeze in time for homework before a shift, and if it’s not before work, then it’s between a million other things that a student needs to do other than school.

— Rosalyn Gutierrez

Academy was a time that wasn’t dedicated to math, science or English, but to students and their needs. Homework, UIL, clubs and any other extracurricular activities all had this time available for them. The pressure of competition was slightly alleviated by the practice students got during academy time. Time they no longer have. The chance for students to have a Cinco de Mayo parade to celebrate and embrace Hispanic culture was made possible by academy time. Time they no longer have. Losing academy has caused a rippling effect of pressure, complications, and cancellations because their limited 30 minutes of time during an eight-hour school day that they counted on is no longer there for them. It may have been an insignificant change for administrators, but for students who relied on that time for practice, it has upturned their schedules and made finding time much harder.

The only hope students have is for academy time to be restored next school year with careful planning and cooperation. Having academy back would eliminate any stress over time and work and allow students the opportunity to get involved in some extracurricular activities.