Chromebook policy too strict

Added technology benefits most students, but restricting use of personal devices limits students

For the 2019-2020 school year, the district has decided to introduce a one to one technology program. Each student pays $40 and they receive a Chromebook of which they get to keep throughout the entirety of the year. Though technology is great to have accessible to students, it does oppose some risks and concerns.

Having a 1:1 policy  is great for students who did not have access to technology before, but the school shouldn’t make so many changes at once.

— Kelsey Soape

Instead of the district charging a non refundable $40, they could’ve charged student a $40 deposit fee. If the student turns the Chromebook back in good condition at the end of the year, they get at least half of their deposit fee back. This would encourage students to keep up with their Chromebook and take more care of them. But now the students have no incentive to take care of the Chromebook and are more inclined to break and mishandle them.

Many students have their own personal computers and tablets, yet with the distribution of the Chromebooks comes a new policy. Students are no longer able to bring personal devices and computers to school. They must only use the school Chromebook they were issued. Students already have knowledge of their own computers and technology, but the school district is making them learn a whole new computer. 

Having a 1:1 policy  is great for students who did not have access to technology before, but the school shouldn’t make so many changes at once. Allowing students to use their own devices would have been a gradual transition. Little things like no caps lock, no number pad and no touch screen can really add up when a student is overwhelmed or stressed. 

The plan the school intended is great in theory, but has many flaws when faced with reality. The policy shouldn’t be as strict and should still allow students choice. Administration and technology personnel should review the policy, and make changes based on what is best for the students.